HelioHealth is an AI-driven healthcare company focused on commercializing early cancer detection tests from a simple blood draw. For over 10 years, HelioHealth has used AI on over 100,000 samples to identify cfDNA methylation patterns that detect cancer early. HelioHealth is currently in clinical trials in the US and China with its leading product to detect liver cancer. Its pipeline includes colon, breast, and lung cancer, as well as 20 other cancers.
HelioHealth is headquartered in Irvine, CA with facilities in West Lafayette, IN; Guangzhou (China); and Beijing (China).
Our leadership team includes passionate, experienced experts with diverse industry backgrounds who are devoted to making a difference in patient lives.
Kenneth Chahine, Ph.D., J.D.
Chief Executive Officer
- As Executive Vice President and General Manager of Ancestry.com, a 1.6 billion dollar technology company, Ken led the launch of AncestryDNA, a large-scale e-commerce genetic genealogy test with revenues of > $500M. In 2019, Ken led the launch AncestryHealth, an e-commerce LDT genetic health product on a next-generation sequencing (NGS) platform.
- Prior to Ancestry, he was the President and Chief Executive Officer at Avigen, a biopharmaceutical company that develops drugs for chronic neurological disorders, where he led the company in its mission to acquire, develop and commercialize innovative gene therapeutics.
- Dr. Chahine is a patent attorney and on the faculty at the University of Utah’s College of Law currently teaching new venture development, intellectual property and licensing.
- He earned a Ph.D. in Biochemistry from the University of Michigan, a J.D. from the University of Utah College of Law, and a B.A. in Chemistry from Florida State University.
Chief Financial Officer
Most recently, Mr. Nakhooda led the launch of Amazon retail in Singapore where he was CFO of the business, as well as a member of Amazon Asia Pacific’s Board of Directors. He spent 7 years at Amazon in several leadership roles, including head of finance for Amazon worldwide transportation and worldwide Prime reporting to the CFO. Prior to that, Mr. Nakhooda held leadership and strategy roles at EY and at various PE portfolio companies.
- CFO of Amazon Singapore Retail where he had full P&L responsibility and built a local team that owned product development, selection, pricing and customer experience.
- VP of Strategy and B2C Operations at Naspers – Founded in 1915, Naspers is a global internet group and one of the largest technology investors in the world. Reporting to group CEO responsible for B2C portfolio strategy and operating performance. Lead portfolio executives on critical business initiatives and funding strategies.
- Head of Finance Worldwide Amazon Prime reporting to the Amazon CFO – Responsible for global program pricing and profitability, marketing, customer insights, Prime benefits and Prime delivery programs.
- Finance Director – WW Transportation Finance leader for Amazon’s global investment strategy for Amazon owned and operated transportation capabilities.
- Ernst and Young – Senior strategic role advising Fortune 500 companies on M&A opportunities, with a focus on buy vs. build analysis, due diligence, synergy analysis, and oversight of global carve-out activities.
- University of British Columbia Applied Sciences, Electrical Engineer and MBA from the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business.
Chief Operating Officer
- As Vice President of Strategy and Business Operations, Ben led the 2019 launch of AncestryHealth’s product offerings, an e-commerce LDT genetic health product on a next-generation sequencing (NGS) platform.
- As a leader in the Operations of Ancestry’s DNA business Ben directed the operational and supply chain launch of the AncestryDNA product, a large-scale e-commerce genetic genealogy test with revenues of > $500M.
- Ben has commercialized some of the world’s largests labs, manufacturing facilities and biorepositories with the scale to produce and run >10M samples per year and store tens of millions of samples.
- Ben led the development of integrated and regulated technology and backend systems (CLIA, GMP, QMS, IOS9001/13485, GDPR, etc.) with focus on quality, customer privacy and security.
- Prior to Ancestry Ben was responsible for several product launches including building operations, fulfillment and manufacturing capabilities in the US and Asia for multiple companies.
- He earned an MBA at BYU Marriott School of Business, and a B.S. from Utah State University.
Chief Executive Officer, China
- Over 15 years GM experience in China and Asia Pacific region developing IVD in life sciences.
- As Vice President and General Manager of the Asia Pacific Region for NAMSA, Mr. Tong developed the business’ long term strategy in areas of biopharma, cardiovascular and IVD. Accelerated business growth and lead investment plan for large lab project in Shanghai. And built strong relationships with global regulatory bodies (FDA, CE, NMPA)
- Prior to NAMSA, Mr. Tong was the Vice President and General manager for Greater China at QIAGEN where he was responsible for $120m in business including women’s health and molecular diagnostics helping in the strategy, design and development of next generation sequencing in China.
- Mr. Tong was also the Business Unit Director of Diagnostics Systems for Greater China at Becton Dickinson, Country Manager of China at Abbott Vascular, and worked at Boston Scientific and GE Medical.
- Mr. Tong received his MBA from Zhongshan University and his B.S. from Guangdong University of Technology.
Richard Van Etten, MD, PhD
Chief Medical Advisor
Dr. Van Etten is Chief Medical Officer for Laboratory for Advanced Medicine. Dr. Van Etten is also the Director of the Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center at UCI.
He was previously the Director of the Tufts Cancer Center and Chief of the Tufts Hematology and Oncology Division.
Dr. Van Etten is the recipient of the Zucker Family Research Prize and the Lucille P. Markey Scholar Award. He is also a Carl and Margaret Walter Scholar and has published over 90 published peer reviewed papers.
He is a member of the American Association for Advancement of Sciences, American Society of Hematology, American Society of Clinical Oncology and the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. He is a contributing Editor to UpToDate, and on the editorial board of the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. Van Etten has board certifications in Hematology and Internal Medicine, is accredited by the American Board of Internal Medicine and is affiliated with the Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, Saddleback Memorial Medical Center and UC Irvine Medical Center.
Dr. Van Etten received his PhD in Biophysics and his MD from Stanford University and his BS in Biology and Mathematics from MIT.
Hepatology Medical Advisors
Morris Sherman, M.D., Ph.D.
President of the International Liver Cancer Association
- Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Toronto
- Chairman of the Board of the Canadian Liver Foundation
- Former President of the International Liver Cancer Association
- M.D. from University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg South Africa
- Ph.D. in liver research from the University of Cape Town
Ghassan K. Abou-Alfa, MD, MBA
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Oncologist, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Professor of Medicine, Cornell University
- Chair of the NCI Task Force for Hepatobiliary Cancers
- President-Elect for the International Society of Gastrointestinal Oncology
Yujin Hoshida, MD, PhD
Liver Tumor Transitional Research Program, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Director, Liver Tumor Transitional Research Program, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Member, AASLD Hepatobiliary Neoplasia SIG, Global Outreach Sub-committee
Robert Gish, MD
The Hepatitis B Foundation
- President of the Hepatitis B Foundation
- Medical Director of The Hepatitis B Foundation
- Faculty University of Nevada Reno and Las Vegas